Sunday, September 25, 2011

Couldn't See the Forest for the Trees...


Life has a way of becoming hectic and stressful.  For me, it can come to a point where if I get one more thing on my To Do List I will scream and be unbearable to live with.  Well, it just so happened that this was that week.  My list was a mile long, and yet I felt that I needed to try to alleviate the stresses of my family as well.  And, as I sometimes do when I am at my boiling point, I started an argument with my ever loving husband.  I complained, I yelled, and I cried.  Brian suggested that we go to the Temple grounds to talk things out.  We left Sam and Mike with Nana and Grandpa and drove over.  After a couple hours of talking, venting, and listening to each other’s sides, we decided to walk through the Visitor’s Center. 

We found an interactive video that we had never seen before.  A kind sister missionary took us through.  It started out as a family who was on a hike over the ridge of a canyon.  One son got too close to the edge and fell.  After a terrifying moment, the parents saw that he had only fallen a few feet onto a ledge and he was safe.  The next scene showed the parents thinking and reminiscing about when their oldest was an infant.  The movie progressed, showing their family at various stages of life including the death of a grandparent and the wedding of a daughter.   The very end of the movie talked about values that our church teaches for families (and for everyone).  Respect, hard work, enriching activities, patience, respect, and forgiveness. 

 By watching this video, I realized that I had lost the big picture.  I was focusing on the negative aspects of life rather than the blessings that we have.  In essence, I couldn’t see the forest for the trees.  I realized that the value of our family is huge.  And we have the added blessing of living with extended family for a time.  It’s not always easy to be living under someone else’s roof, but it is the stage of life that my family is at right now.  It is wonderful that we have more people to talk with, and that our sons are able to spend time with their aunts and grandparents.  It is HUGE that Brian’s parents are often willing to watch the boys for free so that we can run an errand or go on a date.  I also have to be grateful for the sacrifices that they gave up so that we could have a place to stay for a while. 

Going to the Temple grounds today also reminded me once again that I am sealed to my family for time and all eternity.  That includes my in-laws.  They will be my family forever, and for that I am truly grateful.  






1 comment: